Friday, October 21, 2005

Vain is the help of Me

I just got a call from one half of a marital couple with whom I am working. I had little hope for their marriage. She told me that they reached a level of reconciliation had used some of our test results for fruitful conversation. After we hung up I dropped to my knees in thanksgiving that I am not in charge of deciding when a cause is lost. I had felt terrible about the two sessions we have had thus far. So had they, but they turned it into a long conversation at home. I had turned it into crappy feelings about their resiliency and my competency.

I am a worthless servant.

I opened by Brotherhood Prayer Book to look for an appropriate Psalm to sing in my joy. I sang Psalm 108, not realizing that it would include the line: "Give us help from trouble: for vain is the help of man." Now, I don't do the whole, I'll-open-my-Bible-and-point-and-that's-the-Word-God-has-for-me method of Bible interpretation, but this what this verse means to me: Give us help from trouble: for vain is the help of man.

2 Comments:

Blogger Petersen said...

The beauty of the Psalms is that it scarcely matters where your finger lands. It is all immediately applicable!

Glad to hear your using the Brotherhood Prayerbook.

4:48 PM  
Blogger TKls2myhrt said...

cool story!

3:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home