Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Metallica and Mark 9

Metallica's song One is a first-person narriative of a person who has been mutilated in a land-mine explosion. He has lost sight, hearing, speech and all of his limbs. He is conscious of pain and darkness, a living hell. It occurs to me that this is exactly what I would look like if I took Mark 9:43-47 literally. Oh, I'd probably have to start with a Galatians 5:12. But then, this wouldn't really get rid of the sin from my heart, which Christ has said is sin indeed (Matthew 5). So, maybe an orbital-frontal lobotomy would also be in order. Probably not radical enough. I think I'd have to aim for a 'persistant vegetative state.'

Christ could sure preach the law. Mark 9:43-47 is a stark passage that reminds me how really awful sin is in God's sight.

2 Comments:

Blogger solarblogger said...

But you have to remember the sins of omission of which you would be guilty if you did all that!

1:57 PM  
Blogger Devona said...

weird.

9:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home