Friday, October 27, 2006

Prayer Before Class

I'd like your thoughts. I'm about to begin teaching (undergraduate level) and I want a prayer with which to begin every class that includes vocational elements. I would like some feedback about theology, flow, language, etc.
O God and Father of our Lord and Teacher, Jesus Christ, grant us diligence and attention to our vocations as students and teacher that our knowledge and wisdom may increase to the blessing of our neighbor, through the same, Jesus Christ, who lives and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever. Amen.
I wanted the idea of Christ the Teacher as the attribute of God that leads to the Petition. I don't know whether it comes through cleanly enough.

6 Comments:

Blogger John said...

Kletos,

It comes through cleanly enough, and you will be the better teacher and your students will be better students as a result of it.

10:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi... Great prayer, but I'm wondering about how it will be received by your students if you pray the same prayer every class?
Some Christians may erroneously see this as the "vain repetitions" Jesus advised against. Maybe have 2 or 3 different prayers to mix things up a bit?

Also it might be easier for your students to follow if you break it into two sentences -- I'm thinking maybe between "neighbor" and "through". Otherwise, great prose.

9:29 AM  
Blogger The Damsel In Distress said...

I love your original prayer. Can I also memorize it? hehe! It's too short yet when it's meaningful.

9:44 AM  
Anonymous yo wee said...

Thanks for that. love that, weeeeeee! XD

5:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's a good prayer for our class....
so now I have a prayer before the start of the class...

4:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow i love it.......it is nice prayer
it is meaningful prayer i like it

9:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home