Thursday, September 01, 2005

Statement of Faith

I have been asked to write a one-page statement of faith so that I can teach in the Counseling department of a seminary. I thought about printing out the Book of Concord in ridiculously small print on a single sheet of paper, but I do actually want to teach this course (Career Counseling). The seminary itself has a statement of faith here.

The seminary has Anabaptist and Pietist roots. Their confession reads like an attempt to write a creed. I put together the following "statement" and am looking for feedback and suggestions (please):


I am an orthodox Christian. I confess to the historic creeds of the Christian faith, namely the Apostles, Nicene and Athanasian creeds.

I am a catholic Christian. I believe that Christ’s bride the Church is composed of all people of all nations, tongues and times who confess Christ and are baptized in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.

I am an evangelical Christian. I believe that Jesus Christ, the second person of the Triunity was born of Mary by the power of the Holy Spirit, lived a sinless life, fulfilled the Law of God, and died in our place to forgive our sins and to give to his chosen Bride his own righteousness. I believe that we are freely given this forgiveness by the merit of Christ alone, by the Grace of God alone, through faith alone and without any merit or work by the sinner, as we are all dead in sin prior to the action of God to redeem us.

I am a Lutheran Christian and a member of the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod. I believe that the Book of Concord of 1580 is a faithful summary of the faith once delivered to the saints. I subscribe to the Book of Concord because it is a faithful witness of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I hold the Holy Scriptures alone to be the final authority of all matters of Christian faith and practice.

I believe that the Cambridge Declaration is a useful document to call protestant Christian denominations back to their scriptural, confessional and creedal moorings.


What did I miss? Anything you would change?

1 Comments:

Blogger Richard said...

I hope this works for you. You need to stand up for your beleif in orthodox, confessional lutheranism. Understand this will not be a popular stance at this seminary. The concept will be completly forien to them. As Paul say we will be persicuted for our faith. I could not put myself in that kind of enviorment and remain faithful to the Lutheran Confessions. I Pray that you can. Your statement of faith sounds very good and remains faithful.

1:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home