Saturday, August 12, 2006

Lutheran Sculpture Competition

I've thought for a while that it would be great to have a garden statue of Dr. Luther and his Katie in my back yard. There are a number of great full-size Luther statues, for example the statue at Our Savior in Houston of Luther clutching Exsurge Domine, but I can find no garden size statues of Herr Doktor.

You see, I have two perfect spots for a garden statuary, but my choices at present are St. Fiacre, St. Francis, the BVM, St. Joseph, or a goose.

So in the tradition of the great competition between Brunelleschi and Ghiberti for the doors of the Baptistery at Florence 1401, let us hold a competition between Lutheran artists for the best garden statue of Luther and Katie.

I will acknowledge that garden statues are probably not the zenith of a sculptors ambition but there is a long history in the arts of making popular pieces to pay for the artists higher ambitions. The artists would retain the rights to sell all entries, but would have to promise to make them available for purchase by the common man, whether by producing them themselves, or selling latex molds of the creations for reproduction by someone else.

So here's the proposal, would anyone like to sponsor such a competition so that there is an actual prize for the winner? Are there any Lutheran sculptors would would like to take up the challenge?

2 Comments:

Blogger sam said...

You might want to contact the Art Deptartment at Concordia University, Nebraska. They have a recently established Liturgical Art program. They do some great work. If you want to pursue this and have any questions you can find my e-mail address on my blog.

Sam

10:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm really sorry, this is the best I could find...

http://www.oldlutheran.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=OL&Product_Code=800&Category_Code=BH

8:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home