Wednesday, December 06, 2006

God's Self-Deception

This morning, as I headed for Dunkin Donuts for the best coffee on earth, I happened to flip to EWTN radio. I was startled to hear Luther's famous snow-covered dung analogy being discussed. The host of the show commented that it sounded to her that if God looked at us and saw Christ's righteousness rather than our sinfulness, that He would be deceiving Himself. Wow. How utterly foreign this is to the gospel.

I love the snow-covered dung analogy, especially since the alternative is so unlovely.

2 Comments:

Blogger Dan @ Necessary Roughness said...

That God deceives himself or calls dung "snow" is a lot more likely than dung turning into snow of its own accord. :)

3:52 PM  
Blogger David said...

I seem to remember that the veracity of that Luther quotation is in doubt, although the veracity of my memory is also in doubt.

Incidentally, if God calls a dung-hill "snow," it is snow. God's word does what it says. Our justification is no more a "legal fiction" than the cosmos is a figment of God's great big imagination.

12:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home